Tuesday, March 11, 2014

We took an oath...

I was reminded today by a fellow federal employee that I took an oath when I started my federal career.  That oath from 5 U.S.C. §3331 follows...

 I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.
The history of the Oath for Federal employees can be traced to the Constitution, where Article II includes the specific oath the President takes - to "preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."  The wording of the oath was originally called the Ironclad Test Oath which was  developed during the Civil War.  The oath is required for government officials from all three branches, the military, and the States.

If you are an employee paid by the funds collected from all taxpayers I urge you to remember that oath to pursue the best interests of the government.


No comments:

Post a Comment